St. Luke's McCall and McCall Memorial Hospital History
1956 - 2007
McCall City Hospital opened its doors for the first time November 18, 1956. The joyous occasion, witnessed by over 1,000 supporters touring the facility, was the result of a strong community drive to secure local availability of heathcare.
The city council endorsed the effort and received a matching grant from the Hill Burton Foundation. The entire community concentrated on raising the match necessary to supply the funds to build the hospital.
Prior to the opening of the McCall Hospital, residents and visitors of the area had to travel to Cascade or Council to obtain hospital services. There were no ambulances
for transport, only a local hearse or station wagon. The opening of the hospital
brought "a great sign of relief' recalled Jen Grandy, an early nurse at the hospital.
Since the opening of the McCall Hospital in 1956, it has evolved administratively from
a city hospital to a county hospital and now a district hospital. The taxing district extends from the western border of Valley County, south to Roseberry, including Donnelly, and to the Adams County line. Property taxes received account for approximately 6% of hospital revenues.
Many changes have taken place at McCall Memorial Hospital. Hospital district voters passes a $3.8 million bond in September 1993 to finance the majority of the
1994-1997 construction and remodel project. The balance of construction costs,
as well as equipment, furnishings, and other capital needs we've funded from direct giving (donations), grants, and the Hospital cash reserves.
A great deal of additional capital needs were accomplished through a million dollar matching program, the Tennity-Simplot Challenge Grant, was completed in June 2000.
Competent and compassionate care provided by hospital staff and physicians
frequently recognized by patients and families. The personal touch is well illustrated
by the homemade knitted caps and booties worn home by all newborns, lovingly
crafted by Auxiliary members, and the Auxiliary's Room Dedication project for
individuals decorating of patient rooms to enhance the healing environment.
Recent accomplishments in services and equipment include:
- Lee Rhodes assumes CEO position from Karen Kellie, who retires after 28 years
at McCall Memorial Hospital and as CEO for the past 24 years.
- General Surgeon Julie Conyers, MD begins fulltime practice to McCall
- Internal Medicine physicians move into new McCall Medical Clinics on hospital campus
- Multi Slice CT Scanner upgraded to 64 slice
- Opened Donnelly Medical Clinic
- Recruited one Family Physician
- Added medical clinic space
- Endorsed Medical Staff Development Plan
- Master planning initiated for next 10-20 years. To include future recruitment of general surgeon
- Opened Integrative Medicine Clinic
- Recruited three new Family Physicians
- 32-Multislice CT scanner installed (first in Idaho)
- PACS system operation (allows electronic distribution of images among
physicians and medical facilities)
- Internist recruited
- Purchased property adjacent to the hospital in preparation for future growth
- Added St. Luke's Home Care at the Allen-Nokes Center
- Technology and information system upgrades
- Continued network activities with Boise medical centers; strive to make
patient services more accessible, coordinated, and efficient
- Bone densitometry was added thanks to Auxiliary and Foundation support
- Expanded service to the Council region
- Interior hospital remodel to improve radiology, etc
- Allen-Nokes Center remodel with sleep lab, mental health, audiology, and St. Luke's Hospice